A Journey of Running - One Step At A Time

Follow my life as I embark on the exciting journey of running, racing, and finding my true potential.

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Daily Mile Meet Up & Pushing Yourself

Last Saturday, Daily Mile had it's monthly meet up downtown in the Distillery District. Anyone could come out and run, and the course was 8.5K. I decided to go as it was a great way to meet fellow runners that we usually interact with online and run with a fantastic group of people.

This day was full of many "firsts" for me, including the first time I ran with a group, the first time I ran 8.5K, and the first time I ran outside. It was an incredible experience to say the least and one that I'll try not to forget! 

We all met at SOMA Chocolatiers in the Distillery District. The path was through Cherry Street, passing Tommy Thompson Park, and ending back at Mill St. I heard someone was going to turn back at 5K and I was about do to the same because I've never ran 8K in one go in my life. Needless to say, there was NO ONE going back at 5K, so I decided to push it and finish the 8K.


I was clearly the newbie, at the end of the pack, but that didn't matter because everyone made me feel welcome and not at all slow (even though I feel like I'm a turtle sometimes compared to all these veteran runners). About 5K in, I was beginning to get tired and slipped from the pack, which caused me to run by myself for a wee bit. The incredible Will came to my rescue and paced me with encouraging words and support. We ran together, talking about our running adventures and lives right before catching up with the group. When we saw the group standing and waiting about 200 meters away, we decided to Fartlek! Oh yeah! If you don't know what fartlek means, it's a Swedish word for sprinting. Fancy, huh? 

That fartlek (hehe) will stay in my mind forever. With Will by my side gently coaching me on running in choppier strides, and the entire group cheering for us felt amazing. I felt amazing! We never know what the human body is capable of doing, and this was definitely a surprise that made me appreciate my body and what it's capable of. 

Afterward, we ended up going for breakfast at Fig's restaurant and had delicious eggs, coffee, bacon, waffles, and everything in between! Yummmm! :)



I am so glad I met such a diverse (from 20-62 years of age) group of runners from all walks of life; from a competitive cyclist, to a triathlete, to a rock climber. It was one of the most fantastic experiences of my life; having a support group coaching and cheering for me every step of the way is something I will always cherish. The group of people I ran with gave me hope, inspiration, and the will power to continue running even when I want to stop.

You guys know who you are, and I thank you.

Happy Running!
- K

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great group! I've never run with a group, but being in TO, I'm kind of interested in this one!

    ReplyDelete