A Journey of Running - One Step At A Time

Follow my life as I embark on the exciting journey of running, racing, and finding my true potential.

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Group Vs. Individual Running


When I started running, it was a lone sport for me. I would run alone (or on those rare occasions with my partner) on the treadmill at my college gym. I never believed that running was a team sport, or had the support as other team sports often have. In February, I had the Daily Mile Meet Up, which put my running abilities to the test as I began to run with the group. The differences between individual and group running truly shocked me and my abilities.

When you're running by yourself, you're the boss. You decide when you want to stop, when you want to walk, or when you simply don't want to run that day at all. There is no one holding you accountable, and you're rarely pushing yourself (unless ofcourse you're highly motivated and dedicated).

On the other hand, running with a partner or a group of people holds you responsible and accountable. You can't just snooze and not show up; people are waiting and depending on you. You don't want to ask for a walk break or pause to drink from your water bottle because a) you don't want to seem like the turtle in the group, b) you don't want others to wait for you, and c) you want to prove to the people you're running with that you ARE capable of running with them and that you are a true runner. There's simply no room for excuses when running with other individuals.

But besides the excuses and water breaks aside, a group pushes you to run past your limits. A group or running partner encourages you to push past your exhaustion, your fatigue, and even through the  weight of your tired calves. You realize where your potential and capability lies within you. You dig deep and realize that your body can go longer, farther, and faster than your mind ever thought possible. You realize that without your inner "gremlin" telling you to stop or forcing you to have walk breaks, you are more than capable of running that 10, 15, or 20 miler. You start to rely on your body instead of your mind, and you realize that NOTHING is holding you back. 

So go ahead and find a running group or buddy and schedule that 6 am run tomorrow with them! They will hound you if you wake up late, and they will be there waiting for you. They will be your support, your gym trainer, and your companion. But most of all they will be there for you to encourage you to reach your potential.

Happy Running!
- K

5 comments:

  1. I agree 100% and it leads in to my next blog about the two groups I run with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blogs Kat, they're amazing- very inspiring! I have yet to try running with a group (or running outside at all for that matter) but it's definately something I want to try soon :) Especially after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Patrick: Sweet! Cant wait to read it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, I really appreciate your support and kind words, it means a lot! Trust me, you will get HOOKED running outside + with a group. It's a whole other world! I barely even use the treadmill at my gym because its nooooothing compared to outside. Let me know and we can run together! Esp when both u and I are in Aurora! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written Jessica! I don't think I can go back to running alone. So much more fun and fulfilling being with a group of highly motivated runners.
    Hong

    ReplyDelete