A Journey of Running - One Step At A Time

Follow my life as I embark on the exciting journey of running, racing, and finding my true potential.

Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Running Community & Support


As I began running and reading more about the sport, I decided to join a site that tracks your runs and workouts called Daily Mile. You create a profile, and just log in all your runs. The great (and unexpected) part about DM is the fact that you can add other runners as friends (like Facebook). As I started adding more inspirational runners that were friendly and motivating, I was shocked at the community and support that came along with meeting other runners.

A lot of people believe running to be an individual sport. And yes, I thought so too. But my new and fellow friends on DM helped me realize that it's more of a collaborative sport. I thought all I was going to do was log on, track my mileage, and go on with my day. Well, I was wrong!

What I got was far more than I would have ever thought. My running friends have supported, motivated, and inspired me with all their kind words and advice. They have lifted me up when I had my bad runs, and encouraged me to reach my PB's (personal bests). They have given me unlimited amount of advice to avoid injuries, and above all, they are there for me when I need them. Seeing them transform into running machines from sedentary lifestyles gave me hope and courage.

It becomes quite hard if your family and friends don't understand why you're running, or why you have this passion, but these fellow runners do. Although I'm incredibly lucky in having a partner that encourages me to run, and my family that looks after my need to run, I can't imagine someone not supporting that passion; which unfortunately happens to many runners worldwide. DM is there when you need someone, and they are there to learn from YOU too. If you don't have the support and motivation from others, it's incredibly hard to stay with this hobby/career/sport. We all have our ups and downs, and we all need someone to pick us up.

Back when I had the DM Meet Up, the friends I ran with were the ones I met on DM and they were even kinder and more amazing in person. Needless to say, I am so grateful to have each and every one of them on my journey of running, and hope that you readers (from beginners to advanced runners) stumble upon Daily Mile and sign up, because it's one of the best things that I ever did as a runner.

And thank you to each and every one of you who actually reads my blog and those who send me encouraging words and support :) 

Happy Running!
- K

P.S Can you guys believe it's already March?! Sweet deal, time for spring!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! The running community is pretty generous and welcoming. I have only met a few runners who were real tools. When I joined the Metro Tri Club it was like I was old friends with everyone on the first day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy Patrick! I was so surprised and welcomed with open arms. It's so good to hear all the kind words by everyone, and the great vibes. Feels so good ! :)

    ReplyDelete