A Journey of Running - One Step At A Time

Follow my life as I embark on the exciting journey of running, racing, and finding my true potential.

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Goals, Hopes, & Dreams

Sometime last year I decided that I wanted to run a marathon in my lifetime. Keyword on lifetime, not next year. But oh how times have changed! As I started running this year, I set a realistic goal: to run a 5K this year. Well, let's just say that my goals now exceed the 5K. I'll be doing the Goodlife Fitness Toronto 5K on Sunday, May 15th. Preferrably (and competitively) I would like to finish between 25-30 minutes (approx 8 min pace/per mile), or faster. The first time I ran the 5K, my time was 35 minutes. So I'll need to cut 15 minutes off my total time in about 11 weeks of training (11 weeks to go! Exciting!).

I also decided that the 5K was not nearly a challenge since I know I can run it. Therefore, I would love to run The Beaches Jazz Tune Up 10K on July 26, and finish between 40-45 min. It'll be a great race in between the half-mar and get me to still have heart and competition while halfway through my half-mar training program.

Finishing off the year, I'd LOVE to do the Toronto Scotiabank Half Marathon. After the 10K, that gives me under 3 months to finish training, so hopefully I will be injury free and ready to kick it! Preferred time would be sub 2, i.e under 2 hours. (approx 9:15 pace/per mile). 

Enough with the rambling. All I know is that I want to finish strong, finish as fast as I possibly can, and just finish these races as best as I can! I don't want to push myself this year and run a full marathon, so I will save the big M for next year. 

I hope and believe in myself that one day I will qualify for both the Boston Marathon (one of the most prestigious races in marathon history, with time requirements for each age group. For me, the qualifying time for 2013 would be to finish a marathon in under 3:30) as well as the ING New York City Marathon, which would hold a special place in my heart since I used to live there for a few years and my grandparents live in Brooklyn.

Those are my hopes, dreams, aspirations, and whatever else you want to call them. They may be high and hard to reach, but I will get to them if it's the last thing I do. I believe I can do it, and I'm ready to train my body like never before. So watch out! I'm excited to see what the future holds for me, and hope to share the journey with each and every one of my fellow readers.

Happy Running!
- K

4 comments:

  1. hit me up if you ever feel like company on some of those long runs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck achieving your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Patrick, I appreciate that a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete