A Journey of Running - One Step At A Time

Follow my life as I embark on the exciting journey of running, racing, and finding my true potential.

Tuesday 5 April 2011

7 Day Fun Streak Challenge

I'm back guys! After a lazy, lethargic, and overall disappointing burnout week, I am back!

Last week I decided to challenge myself after my previous burnout week and run for 7 days straight! I don't even know what came over me; I'm just crazy. I love challenging myself and truly believe in what my body is capable of accomplishing. As an ex-athlete (competitive swimmer) I was used to pushing the boundaries and testing my abilities, so it comes with the territory to challenge myself.

After I had my first burnout week (2 weeks ago) I really wanted to up the ante and just test my abilities and making sure they didn't dissipate. I technically only ran 6 days straight, but only because my shins were in pain and my body needed to rest. I had no plans for the type of runs I'd do (tempo vs. long vs. interval vs. easy) I just simply wanted to get out there and prove to the world (and myself) that I was capable of anything when it comes to running. The adrenaline that I felt when running every single day is unexplainable. The power that I felt with every step, made me feel invincible and capable of absolutely anything.

The first run of the week was not my best, I'll admit. I felt distracted, tired, and just out of shape coming back from burnout week. It was an easy 2 miler on the treadmill at my gym, and the next day proved to be better.

On the second day, I managed to sneak a 5K into the break between lectures at my university with my good friend Jessica. She is a novice runner who has quite the potential and who has never run outside! I feel so proud and honoured to have been her first partner to run outside with. It was a beautiful day, and it felt great to show another runner what it feels like to enjoy the scenery, weather, and pavement when running outside.

The next few days I mixed it up with a 6 mile LSD (long slow distance) and some speedwork at my local track. I never once gave up, and I never once said "I can't". I don't believe in quitting, and you better believe that "grit" is my middle name! I refuse to stop, and I will continue to go go go go go! Even if I have to limp it through, I will not stop. Mark my words ;-)

I am extremely proud of what I achieved and very happy and grateful that my body adapted with me throughout the changes. I'm so thankful for my legs, my runs, my energy, and the fact that these runs ARE possible. Our body is an amazing tool, and when we learn how to use it, it is remarkable.

The next few weeks I'll be focusing on interval/speed training as well as some LSD's to get ready for the Sporting Life 10K on May 1st (less than a month away!) which I'm very excited about! Although I don't like to make it known that I'm a relatively new runner (don't like for people to label me and assume that I'm a slow jogger, etc) this race will be my first! This is quite exciting and I can not wait.

Get out there and push yourself. Challenge yourself. Love yourself.

Happy Running!
- K

1 comment: