A Journey of Running - One Step At A Time

Follow my life as I embark on the exciting journey of running, racing, and finding my true potential.

Friday 18 March 2011

Setbacks & Progress

After completing my first week of training, I slipped up a bit.

Only a bit, I promise! After Friday's incident (almost getting hit by a car, I'm definitely fine and dandy now, but was quite angry and shaken up), I took a few days off running and just didn't feel like getting out there, even though the weather was finally starting to come alive! After 4 days of NO running at all, I finally got back on the treadmill (it's still wet outside due to all the puddles) and it was one of the hardest tasks ever!

Seriously, there's a reason why people tell you that you shouldn't take a too long of a break with working out/running/exercising/anything active. It's ridiculous trying to get back into the swing of things! My LSD (long, slow distance run) was just not happening! I couldn't get into the right mindset and was too distracted. I find that for LSD your head really needs to be in the game, otherwise you're doomed. Case in point, on Wednesday's run. So I decided to switch it up and turn it into a short tempo run; just a 2 miler (3K). Picked up the pace and in the end had a 7 min pace/per mile which was fantastic but extremely fast! :)

Thursday's easy run was outside in the morning with Vanessa! It was an easy run and good to get outside and enjoy the beautiful morning. Did I mention I got a new jacket?! After noticing that most of my apparel is black (hey it's slimming!) I decided to switch things up and get a bright, fluorescent, in-yo-face running jacket from the Runner's Shop. It was on sale which is even better! Low and behold, the Saucony Vizi Pro Jacket! Here is a photo of it, yet it is NOTHING like this orange colour they show here. It's more of a "Hey I'm a construction worker part-time, hence why I'm wearing something so bright" kind of colour, compared to the photo below which is more of a mellow orange. Mellow tangerine, let's say.


Oh and the cool thing about the jacket is that on the right lower sleeve, there's a small light that turns on and flashes an intense ray of awesome towards oncoming cars/traffic/anything. BEWARE of my awesome light!

Saturday will consist of another LSD (hopefully my mind will be in it this time) but I also really want to go to Zumba class which I haven't gone to in a while.

Remember that no matter how long you take off from any given activity, it's easy to get back into it if your mind is in the right place. Focus, draw from within, and the results will speak for themselves.

Happy Running!
- K

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad I have not set foot to road or trail all week. I am debating if I will run tomorrow or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Love your jacket! And you're right, it's SO MUCH BRIGHTER than this!! :D

    ReplyDelete